Friday, September 7, 2012

Haunted Hockey in Lake Placid


How come a second book? Title?

Haunted Hockey in Lake Placid, The Puck Hog Volume 2 will be released in just a few weeks!  We're targeting a mid-October date. On many of my school visits, children asked whether I was going to write a second one and there was a lot of encouragement to continue the adventures of The Puck Hog team. So I carefully listened to suggestions of school/hockey kids, collaborated with the husband and our two hockey players and decided to create the adventure in Lake Placid.




Of all of the hockey tournaments we've been to, my son's Lake Placid tournament by far was the most memorable.







"Magical" as my ten year old says. From sled dog rides, to pond hockey skating, skating on the Olympic oval and having the team play on the 1980 Miracle on ice arena (can't count the number of times my kids have seen that movie!)we were in non-stop awe of it all. I knew I could write something really exciting because of all the excitement we experienced in the beautiful Adirondack village.


                           



The title was a struggle. We tossed around a lot of ideas and the publisher favored Haunted Hockey for a couple of reasons. The release date will be in October, and the title might draw in a wider audience. Kids love anything haunted.






How did The Puck Hog Do? Were you excited by the success?

  We've done well! Still selling on Amazon.com, and to my surprise, even in cities outside of Syracuse! Chicago, Boston, Tampa? I am pumped! I am most grateful for schools embracing the story and the message and to see schools now integrating the book as part of their character education curriculum. The school visits are most rewarding! I've designed a program called "Read, Write and Assist" using hockey as the hook.  I make it fun for the kids and
engage them in a conversation about standing up for what's right and
the rewards of providing assists to help others achieve their goals.




  
    The program is about 45 minutes in length and includes lots of interaction (even some hockey plays), a DVD of hockey highlights starring some of the real hockey players who inspired the book's characters.  Prizes, and lots of Q &A's.  



                                       
In what way is second one different?

I wanted to challenge myself and take my writing outside of my own experiences. We blend hockey, history and mystery this time around. The first story centered around a selfish hockey player.  This next one tackles the problem of the pushy parent. So hopefully kids will be sharing this one with their parents!   


How long did it take to write?

About 6 months with lots of rewrites and many of them suggested by my kids and lots of input from the husband too!




How do you fit in writing between your broadcasting and parenting.

It's a delicate balancing act. Now that I'm working a late evening shift, I find time to write in the morning after the kids head to school. My husband and children all pitch in with the housework and making sure we're all on the same page with homework, games and meals.  It's a team effort!


 Role of your husband?

He's my inspiration!



No comments:

Post a Comment