Monday, April 30, 2012

Hockey Room for Kids


Teri Parks provides the inspiration and how-to guide for creating an affordable hockey-themed room for your kids.  Can't you just picture your young hockey player dreaming of hat tricks and assists while cuddling their hockey sticks at night?   

                                       A Room with a Hockey View

                                                                              by Teri Parks

 

If you have a little hockey player in your life and are finding it as difficult and frustrating to locate any "hockey room decor" for their bedroom or playroom as I did, here are several ideas I'd like to share. I did a total redesign of my son's bedroom, going from baby nursery to "big boy hockey room" in one weekend! There seems to be plenty of baseball, basketball and football decorative items for children's rooms in stores, in magazines and online...such as bed comforters, bed sheets, pillows, lamps, wall decor, etc., but for the sport of hockey, it is very limited. But, with a little creativity, you can score big with your little hockey fan and create a room they will love!




How I did it...

-WALLS-use complimenting colors for top and bottom of walls. My son's favorite color is green, so I used that as an accent color to the blue. The top SHELF was something I created out of door molding and crown molding as I wanted something that was going to go all the way across two walls for shelving. Remember to think about height when placing the shelving depending on what you plan to place on the shelf (you may want a higher space if you want to put trophies, etc.).




-BEDDING-It was very difficult to find any hockey bedding and the ones I found online were very expensive. I was lucky enough to have my husbands "old" (he'll love me for that!) hockey blanket when he was a kid, which I had made into a comforter. I would suggest finding hockey material, which is easier to find than a bed set, and have a duvet cover or comforter made. This will be less expensive and easier to find. If you're crafty or know someone who is, you can also have pillows made to go with the comforter to finish the look.




-WALL DECOR- This is the fun part! You can really use anything you or your child likes. I think a hockey stick incorporated someplace on the wall is a must to any hockey room. I used a goalie stick above his door. You can also drill & screw in hooks into a hockey stick to create a clothes hook/rack for hanging hats, bags, robe, etc. You can hang your child's favorite team jersey as I did, either by itself or place it into a shadow box (I used my husband's childhood Canadiens jersey to keep safe & not to collect dust). Custom frame idea...use any kind of fabric (hockey or coordinating colors) for a picture mat in frame.




-WINDOW TREATMENT- I sewed on hockey patches (vintage & new) on simple window valance for a unique and fun look. Another idea may to add hockey buttons or pins to the valance.




-DECOR- You can place whatever you like on the wall shelving, such as pucks, framed photos, hockey sticks, trophies, framed player cards, etc. I found a hockey lamp shade online to use on bookshelf, which was custom made, but you could also make yourself using hockey material and glueing to lamp shade. Use children's hockey toys/books to dress it up and for color and try to incorporate your base & amp; accent colors whenever possible.

To reach Teri Parks For a free Redesign consultation...call Design Appeal Home Staging at #315-663-7387 or email teri@designappealstaging.com


Check out the BEFORE AND AFTER photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment